How to Get Winter Salt Stains Out Of Office Rugs
Winter can bring all kinds of dirt and mud into the office. The worst possible stains to get out are salt stains. As an office owner or professional cleaner, it can be daunting staring at the white stains from winter salt and trying to figure out how to make your carpets look new again. While that white stain on your office rug may look like it will never come out you can easily remove that stain as long as you avoid scrubbing the salt into the rug. Here are a few simple steps you can take to get those pesky salt stains out of your office rugs.
- Vacuum the area getting as much dirt and salt out of the rug as you can without driving the salt deeper into the carpet. Doing this step slowly will help ensure you have gotten as much of the large salt pieces as possible.
- Spray a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water to the affected area and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Do not rub the stain, use a brush to start pulling the salt out of the carpet. Brush in one direction lightly loosening the stain that has set in.
- Spray the area again.
- Complete the spray and brush step until you are satisfied that the salt has been removed from the carpet fibers.
- Use an absorbent cloth to mop up some of the water, but avoid scrubbing the area and pushing the salt into the carpet fibers.
- If a wet vac is available, use it to clean up the remaining salt and water combination and help remove the vinegar smell faster.
While the vinegar smell may not be pleasant once the carpet dries the smell will go with it. You can also deodorize the carpet but it is suggested to wait until the vinegar has dried before adding more cleaners to the carpet so the smells do not mix and the scent of the deodorizer can set on top of the vinegar.
If you can’t wait for your carpets to dry and you want to clear out the smell quickly before your office opens or customers come to visit simply open a window near the affected area and let the air help dry the spot on the floor. You can also use a hairdryer or drying machine to help dry the affected area. If you don’t have the time to get your office clean or those pesky stains out, look for janitorial services Halifax to help.